Infrastructure as a Service: Never Buy or Maintain Hardware Again
by Dave Moorman
Infrastructure as a service (IaaS) is one of the most efficient IT cost-control mechanisms ever invented. As a bonus, it also eliminates the cost and hassle of equipment maintenance and reduces downtime dramatically.
So, how can infrastructure (hardware) be a service, and how does it provide these great benefits? IaaS, companies pay an IT provider a flat monthly fee for providing, installing and maintaining their IT infrastructure, such as servers, storage appliances and backup devices. There are no hidden fees or unpleasant surprises—the provider takes care of everything.
And, since the provider (and not the customer) owns the equipment, it has a vested interest in making sure everything stays in top-notch condition. When equipment nears the end of its life, the provider replaces it. Most also offer upgrade plans that enable customers to move to faster, more powerful equipment on a scheduled timeframe.
This solution is truly a win-win for the customer, and it amazes me that more firms aren’t taking advantage of it. Its benefits speak for themselves:
- Gain access to an immediate hardware upgrade without new capital outlay.
- Avoid the expense and hassle of selecting and purchasing IT hardware in the future.
- Transition hardware costs from a CapEx to an OpEx, eliminating the need for depreciation schedules and allowing full expensing each year. (This benefit may become especially valuable if the expanded Section 179 deduction is not renewed this year.)
- Work with an IT expert whose best interest is served by maintaining the hardware and ensuring it doesn’t fail.
- Implement business plans with confidence, knowing that appropriate hardware replacement cycles are built into the program.
The one caveat about IaaS is that you must be confident your new IT partner adheres to the highest standards of service to avoid an excessively long and painful transition to the new system as well as workflow disruption during routine maintenance.
If you would like to learn more about how these programs work and can be customized to your needs, give me a call. I’d be happy to help you navigate your way to embarking on a truly revolutionary approach to IT.